Heavy rain in Surat, Ukai dam nears danger level
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
With heavy downpour in its upper catchment areas, the water level in of Ukai dam has gone up to 328.68 feet, which is just around 12 feet below the danger level. The authorities started discharging water and also began three hydro engines to generate electricity. However, Navsari, Valsad and the Dangs districts also received moderate rainfall.
In last 24 hours, the entire Surat witnessed heavy rainfall, while no causality was reported. However, the incidents of uprooting of trees and falling of electric poles were recorded with Surat fire brigade department. Several low-lying areas in the Surat city were seen gutted in rain water.
In Ukai dam, the inflow of water is 41, 689 cusecs, while the outflow of the dam is 15,497 cusecs.
While the water level in Kakrapar dam of Tapi district also reached 161.30 feet, which is around 1.30 feet above the danger level. The dam authorities started discharging 9400 cusecs of water to maintain safe level in the dam.
The meteorological department had predicted heavy rainfall in coming 24 hours and fishermen had been advised by the district administrative officials not to venture into the sea.