Held for Army land scam, Jalnawala has cantonment square named after him
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
'There was a proposal to name 7 small roads after this owner of a 'zillion' horses'
Khushro Jalnawala arrested on January 26 by Hyderabad police for allegedly selling defence land to an educational trust at 18.5 crore has a square named after him in Pune Cantonment, a rare achievement for a civilian still alive. Most junctions in cantonment are named after either Army officers or civilian leaders who have passed away, like Jawaharlal Nehru, or figures from history, like Alexander the Great.
Jalnawala, who earned the epithet of "owner of a zillion horses", has his name prominently displayed on four boards at the suqare. The whole square is branded in red and white, the official colours of his horses, in contrast to other squares typically painted yellow and black. And in doing that, he appears to have bypassed the PCB nod.
Jalnawala along with Reena Ahlowalia whom police described as his wife, were arrested for allegedly selling an Army plot in Secunderabad Cantonment in Andhra Pradesh to one Tavinder Singh Kohli at Rs 18.5 crore.
Sources said Ahlowalia, the principal of Vibgyor International School, is widow of an Army officer and that Jalnawala's family is settled in Ahmednagar.
At the chowk opposite Race Course, huge mountings on dividers proclaim 'Sponsored by Khushroo Jalnawala' in bold beneath the message, 'Wear a helmet, save your life'. Incidentally, the helmet drive by Pune Sub Area months ago was a much-publicized one.
The square was 'branded' by Jalnawala two days prior to the Southern Command Trophy, the annual racing event at Pune Race Course in September 2012.
Naming a square, or branding, is a long-drawn procedure. The proposals sent to PCB are placed in the general body meeting. They have to get the Local Military Authority nod as well.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties