Held for illegal stay and let off a year ago, Nigerian couple still evade police net
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Rahul compares Modi with Hitler, says Gujarat CM behaves arrogantly
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
A year has passed and the police have still not been able to trace the two Nigerian couple who were held for overstaying in Pune, but were let free. An all India Look Out Circular (LOC) has been issued against the two suspects, Oladiya Okunolo Ibrahim (34) and Shef Dalaumi Fatima, who were residing in an apartment in Simon terrace building, Kondhwa Khurd, even after their passport and visa validity had expired.
They had allegedly sheltered their countryman Nonso Soso Honah (25), who was arrested by the Anti-Narcotics Cell with cocaine and Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD) in his possession on November 26, 2012.
A police team had then quizzed Ibrahim and Fatima. Searches were conducted at their Kondhwa Khurd residence. Though the police did not find any contraband substance with the couple, their passports and visa documents revealed that they were overstaying.
The Nigerian couple was then handed over to the Foreigners Registration Office (FRO) of Pune police. FRO sleuths seized their passport and visa documents. Investigations revealed that they came to India in 2010 for a year on a medical visa. They however continued their stay even after their visa expired. The FRO then initiated steps to deport the couple.
Sources said instead of restricting the movements of the couple by issuing a "restriction order" and then making arrangements for their deportation by booking air tickets, the FRO officials actually let them go free. According to sources, the FRO officials actually asked the Nigerian couple to go and book the air tickets for their own deportation.
The couple left FRO and never returned. A few days later, the FRO conducted checks at their rented apartment in Kondhwa Khurd, but they had already fled. DCP (FRO) Rajendra Mane said, "I do not think there was a lapse. But it is true that restriction order was not issued against the Nigerian couple. An offence under sections of the Foreigners Act was registered with the Kondhwa police station and an LOC has been issued," Mane said.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express