Held on harassment charge, he hangs self
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Mulayam Singh files nomination from Azamgarh; Third FIR against Giriraj Singh
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: SRH field first, Pathan comes in for Ishant
A teenager allegedly killed himself and another attempted suicide after the two — and a third friend — were arrested for allegedly harassing two girls on a DTC bus last week. The families have accused police of pushing the youths to desperation through harassment.
The family of 19-year-old Chandrakant Singh, who allegedly hanged himself on December 25, has said the police threatened and humiliated him, sending him into an acute depression. They have also alleged that a police officer extorted Rs 10,000 from them.
The families of Singh and his friend Sonu Vaidhya live in New Manglapuri in south Delhi's Fatehpur Beri area. Vaidhya allegedly consumed poison a day after Singh hanged himself, but survived. A note was recovered from Singh's person said no one should be blamed for his death.
According to police, the girls lodged an FIR under section 509 IPC (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) against the three accused at Mehrauli police station on December 24. The third accused was identified as Mohit, also of Fatehpur Beri, police said.
All three youths are students of an industrial training institute (ITI) in Nizamuddin. The girls who accused them of harassment study at an institute near Siri Fort. The incident allegedly took place on a bus on route number 413, which all of them took regularly. The men "teased and threatened" the women "all the time", the complaint said.
"On December 24, we received a PCR call that some people were beating up a youth after he was caught harassing a girl in a moving DTC bus. A police team reached the spot and learnt that the youth was beaten up by the girl's brothers and his friends. They were brought to the police station where the girl formally lodged an FIR accusing the youth and his two friends for harassing her. He was arrested and released subsequently. The next day, he committed suicide," said a senior police officer.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready