'Phailin' intensifies into severe cyclonic storm, to hit Odisha and Andhra on Saturday
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Cyclone 'Phailin' which was to make landfall two days from now, possibly near Gopalpur in Odisha and in north Andhra Pradesh, on Thursday intensified into a severe cyclonic storm travelling slightly northwest and lying about 800 km from Paradip in Odisha.
The storm, 870 km from Kalingapatnam and 900 km from Visakhapatnam, would intensify into a very severe cyclonic storm in the next 24 hours, the latest IMD bulletin said.
It would continue to move northwestwards and make landfall by the evening of October 12 with a wind speed of 175-185 kmph close to Gopalpur in Odisha and between Kalingapatnam and Paradip, Director of IMD, Bhubaneswar, Sarat Sahu said.
Squally winds speed reaching 45-55 kmph to 65 kmph would hit Odisha and north Andhra Pradesh on Friday morning, he said.
It would increase in intensity with wind speeds of a gale reaching 175-185 kmph along and off coastal districts of south Odisha and north Andhra Pradesh at the time of landfall, Sahu said.
The sea along and off Odisha and north Andhra Pradesh coast would be rough to very rough from Friday and would become 'phenomenal' on October 12, he said.
"Storm surge with height of around 1.5 to 2.0 meter above astronomical tide would inundate low lying areas of Ganjam, Khurda, Puri and Jagatsinghpur districts of Odisha and Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh during landfall," Sahu said.
Asked whether there was possibility of the system turning into a super cyclone, which had struck 14 coastal districts of Odisha in October 1999 taking several lives, Sahu said, "As of now the latest satellite data says that the system will take the form of a very severe cyclonic storm and make land fall on October 12."
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today