High Court directs daily hearing of Asaram Bapu case
- L-G Najeeb Jung's 'I am the govt' remark laughable, acting at PM's behest: Arvind Kejriwal
- Robert Vadra's Facebook post triggers BJP, Congress clash; House adjourned
- Scolded by Sonia, Shashi Tharoor gets praise from PM Modi
- RK Pachauri asked to step down, Ajay Mathur is new TERI chief
- PM's credibility declining, no discussion until Sushma steps down: Rahul
Rajasthan High Court on Friday directed the District and Sessions court, hearing the sexual assault case involving self styled godman Asaram and four others, to
start daily proceedings and wrap up the trial as early as possible.
The court also asked the Rajasthan government to pay a compensation of Rs 3 lakh to the minor girl within a month.
The court gave these directions while hearing the bail application of co-accused of the case Sanchita Gupta alias Shilpi (warden of the gurukul at Chhindwara) and Sawaram Hethwaria alias Shiva (attendant of Asaram).
"The court took into account the German tourist rape case, whose trial was completed within 16 days of the case's appearance before the court," prosecution lawyer Mahipal Bishnoi said.
Justice Kanwaljit Singh Ahluwalia put the bail plea hearing on hold until the cognisance of the charge sheet was taken by the lower court and charges were framed against the accused.
The court also directed the lower court to take cognisance of the charge sheet on November 16.
Police had filed the charge sheet against Asaram and four other accused in the District and Sessions court on Wednesday.
The court had extended their judicial custody till November 16 when the arguments on the charges will begin.
Asaram was charged with wrongful confinement and rape of the 16-year-old girl.