High Court issues notices to PU over financial officer appointment
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Friday issued notices to the Panjab University (PU) authorities on a petition challenging the appointment of Vikram Nayyar as finance and development officer (FDO) of the university.
In his petition, RTI activist Rajinder K Singla alleged that Nayyar's appointment was illegal and arbitrary and urged the court to quash it. The case came up for hearing before a Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri and Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain. The bench issued notices for March 21.
The petitioner alleged that Nayyar does not not fulfil the qualification and experience as laid down in the advertisement seeking candidates for the post. The court was further apprised that against the advertisement issued in 2007, in which, applications were invited up to October 23, 2007, Nayyar, who had applied then, was not selected by the Selection Committee as he was not found suitable for the post. The committee had wanted another advertisement to be issued.
Therefore, when the post was re-advertised, the petitioner alleged that former PU Vice Chancellor Prof R C Sobti changed the entire earlier Selection Committee and constituted a new panel, "with people who can work as per their whims and fancies".
" That it was with in the knowledge of Prof Sobti that Nayyar was not qualified even as per the changed qualification because he had done his Master's degree from the Vinayaka Mission University of directorate of distance education which is not a approved degree by the Panjab University itself," the petition reads.
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid