Highway safety panel to submit report in a month
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy sent to police custody till March 4
- Petrol price hiked by 60 paise per litre, diesel by 50 paise
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
- Govt hikes DA by 10% for 80 lakh employees & pensioners
Committee was set up after 27 people were killed in a mishap on Expressway in July.
The death of Marathi film and TV actors, Anand Abhyankar and Akshay Pendse, and Pendse's 2-year-old son Pratyush in an accident on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway has brought to focus a committee set up by the state government to suggest measures to improve highway safety. On Sunday, a speeding truck had crashed into a car killing occupants Abhyankar, Pendse and Pratyush who were travelling to Mumbai.
The committee set up following the death of 27 people of a wedding party in an accident on the Expressway in July, is expected to submit the final report in a month, though a few of its recommendations have already been implemented. The committee has held two meetings so far.
As per its recommendation, breath-analysers have been given to the highway police to test people for driving under the influence of alcohol, and sound systems have been provided at toll nakas to make announcements to warn incoming traffic around the spot of an accident. Moreover, five per cent of the total road work cost has been earmarked for zebra crossings and signal boards on all roads, even on road stretches in rural areas. "We have taken some steps after the committee suggested measures to curb drunk driving. The final report is expected in a month and will look at steps to improve overall highway safety," said Minister of State for Home Satej Patil.
The Maharashtra Home department had set up the two-member committee to recommend measures to improve safety on highways, especially the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. The committee was formed after 27 members of a wedding party were killed in July and at least 29 were injured in the worst-ever accident on the 11-year-old Expressway.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past