Hissar shocker: 20-year-old girl axed to death by another student
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
A 20-year-old girl studying in Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology here was allegedly axed to death by a senior student, police said today.
Pradeep Nain (22), a final year student of BTech in mechanical engineering in the university was arrested on the charge of murdering Gitika Mehta, a final year BTech student of computer science, last evening, police said.
Nain was produced in a local court today and remanded to police custody for two days.
The incident led to protests last night, with the students of the university blocking the Hisar-Delhi national highway for some time.
The university administration today declared holiday on the campus as a precautionary measure after students protested against the administration on the campus, alleging lack of security arrangements in the premises.
The students demanded dismissal of the vice-chancellor and the registrar of the university.
The situation in the university was stated to be tense, but under control, police said.
The victim, who was living in a hostel on campus, was hacked to death allegedly by Nain when she was near the shopping complex of the university last evening, police said.
Some students and security staff who were present there caught the assailant and handed him over to the police.
Police investigations revealed that both were close friends, but lately the girl was maintaining a distance from him and out of frustration, Nain committed the crime.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi