Hit by bit-by-bit funding, NDA wall to get Rs 46 cr for completion at one go
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
A decade after it was initiated, the 35-km wall around the 8,000-acre National Defence Academy (NDA) has got administrative sanction to be completed at one go, spending a whopping 46.38 crore. This is likely to see the whole wall in place in another 30 months.
It was learnt that the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has granted administrative sanction.
The project was proposed in 2001-02. The wall now exists in parts. Now that the go ahead has come, a 19.5-km stretch of the wall is expected to come up by 2015-16, thus completing the concrete envelope around the campus.
The NDA has confirmed the development.
The existing boundary is a mix of wall and high-wire structure and runs through several villages making the campus of the sensitive establishment quite porous.
In 2001-02, the MoD had released Rs 2 crore for the then requirement of Rs 6 crore for the 35-km wall. The project, in phase I, was to complete 8.5 km followed by another phase for about 7 km. Work more or less continued in spurts during the decade depending on release of funds from time to time by the central government.
Talking to The Indian Express, a former commandant of the NDA cited transition in security scenario over the decade and sensitivity of defence lands, besides the added dimension of terrorism as reasons for the sudden decision to release Rs 46 crore at one go to get the wall completed.
Sources at the executing agency, Military Engineer Service (MES), also confirmed that the 19.5-km stretch will come up soon. "Watch towers, at least one in each corner, and a peripheral road besides others, will be included," a defence official said.
Funds for the present phase received administrative sanction on August 24 last year and the central government had earmarked 46.38 crore for the work. The MES is likely to issue a tender within two months and award the contract to one or multiple vendors. The second option is likely to result in faster completion of the project.