Hit by car in wrong lane, DU girl critical
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
A second-year student of Delhi University suffered a spinal injury when a Honda Civic drove into the cycle-rickshaw she was riding in the afternoon on Monday. Police said the car was in the wrong lane and was speeding.
Four others suffered minor injuries as the Civic later crashed into a Mahindra Xylo, a call centre cab. The incident was reported from Maurice Nagar, North Delhi. The driver of the Civic, Jai Prakash Bansal (65), has been arrested.
Nineteen-year-old Shreya Dwiwedi, a student of Life Sciences at Hansraj College, is in the ICU of a private hospital.
The three occupants of the Xylo — Ayushi Jain, Anjali Sharma and Gurmal Singh — were discharged after first-aid. The rickshaw puller, Parmanand Singh, sustained injury on his forehead.
Police said Parmanand was taking Shreya to Chattra Marg when the car rammed the rickshaw and then the Xylo. Shreya fell on the road due to the impact and came under the Civic. The rickshaw puller fell on the pavement.
"The passersby rushed the victims to a nearby hospital and made a PCR call. It is yet to be ascertained if the driver was under influence of alcohol," a senior police officer said.
Shreya's brother-in-law, Lalit Saraswat, said "She just finished her exams and was to return home to Kanpur on December 14. Before leaving college on Monday, she called her parents to say that her ticket was confirmed. We were waiting for her to return home."
"She has sustained a deep wound across her right eyebrow. Her right arm has been fractured and her vertebral column damaged. She is being operated upon," he said.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'