Hitler was vegetarian: Fuhrer's food taster
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
arAdolf Hitler's only surviving food taster has claimed that the Fuhrer was a dedicated vegetarian during his stay at the "Wolf's Lair" in World War II.
Margot Woelk, 95, said that Hitler ate only the freshest fruit and vegetables during the two and a half years that she was forced to check his food for traces of poison.
During World War II, Woelk, a German citizen whose husband had been sent to fight, was taken by the Schutzstaffel (SS) to Hitler's Eastern Front headquarters in modern-day Poland, known as the "Wolf's Lair".
There, she joined a team of a dozen other women whose job was to protect Hitler from any attempts to poison him, The Telegraph reported.
"Between 11 and 12 o'clock, we had to taste the food, and only after all of us had tried it was it driven to the headquarters by the SS," Woelk's said.
"It was all vegetarian, the most delicious fresh things, from asparagus to peppers and peas, served with rice and salads. It was all arranged on one plate, just as it was
served to him. There was no meat and I do not remember any fish," she said.
"Of course I was afraid. If it had been poisoned I would not be here today. We were forced to eat it, we had no choice," she added.
Hitler's apparent enthusiasm for vegetarianism reflected the Nazi obsession with Aryan bodily purity. A Hitler Youth manual from the 1930s promoted soya beans,
which it called "Nazi beans" as an alternative to meat.
In 1942, Hitler told Joseph Goebbels that he intended to convert Germany to vegetarianism when he won the war. But although he referred to meat broth as "corpse tea", he was not fastidious about declining meat.
Dione Lucas, his cook before the war, claimed that he was a fan of stuffed pigeon and he was also known to be partial to Bavarian sausages and the occasional slice of ham.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2