Hockey great Eruzione jersey scores $660K at Heritage auction
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
The jersey worn by hockey great Mike Eruzione in the US Miracle on Ice victory over the Soviet Union at the 1980 Winter Olympics has been auctioned in New York for almost $660,000.
Chris Ivy of Heritage Auctions said the No. 21 jersey went for $657,250 on Saturday. The stick Eruzione used to score the winning goal sold for $262,900, more than five times its pre-sale estimate. The buyers' names were not immediately available.
Eruzione wore the jersey when he scored the win in the come-from-behind 4-3 victory. The outcome in Lake Placid, New York was surprising because the US team was largely made up of amateurs playing against a Soviet team of professionals widely considered unbeatable.
The 33rd anniversary of the historic game was Friday.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness