Hockey India League has potential to change face of hockey: Akshay Kumar
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Bollywood star Akshay Kumar has become the latest celebrity to back the ongoing Hockey India League, saying that the event has the potential to change the face of the sport.
"I am a sportsperson by heart and it is good to see world
class hockey action across cities in the country. I have seen
some of the matches and loved what I saw," Akshay said.
"The quality of action is amazing as you see the best of
players in the world showcase their talent on the turf. Day
before yesterday's match between Mumbai Magicians and Delhi
Waveriders was a blockbuster with two evenly balanced teams
scoring as many as 10 goals between them.
"This is exactly the kind of hockey which will attract
the youth of today. This league has the potential to change
the face of hockey in the country. I will follow as many
matches as I can and I think we have here a recipe for a very
successful property for years to come," he added.
Former Indian player, Viren Rasquinha, said Akshay's
support will increase HIL's popularity. "It is good that main stream Bollywood stars are coming to support Hockey India league. This will broad base the support of hockey in the country."Hockey stalwart Deepak Thakur, added, "Hockey and
Bollywood has old connection. Most famous Bollywood stars have always supported the game and it is good to see Akshay coming forward and expressing himself openly for the league."