Homage to martyrs today
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
A formal wreath-laying ceremony will be held at the Chandigarh War Memorial located in the Bougainvillea Garden, Sector 3, here on the Martyrs Day on January 30 at 10.30 am.
While Governor of Punjab and UT Administrator Shivraj V Patil will lead the ceremony, Chief of Western Command Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra along with other defence personnel will be present to pay homage to the martyrs.
The entry of the general public to the memorial will be barred after 10.30 am.
A candle-lighting ceremony will be held from 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm at the memorial. The residents of the Tricity can come to the memorial to light candles in memory of the sacrifices of the soldiers. A large number of school students and relatives of the martyrs are also expected to visit the memorial.
The Chandigarh War Memorial was dedicated to the nation by former President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam on August 17, 2006. The Indian Express took the initiative of building the memorial keeping in mind the large number of soldiers from the region who laid down their lives for the nation.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18