Homage to martyrs today
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
A formal wreath-laying ceremony will be held at the Chandigarh War Memorial located in the Bougainvillea Garden, Sector 3, here on the Martyrs Day on January 30 at 10.30 am.
While Governor of Punjab and UT Administrator Shivraj V Patil will lead the ceremony, Chief of Western Command Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra along with other defence personnel will be present to pay homage to the martyrs.
The entry of the general public to the memorial will be barred after 10.30 am.
A candle-lighting ceremony will be held from 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm at the memorial. The residents of the Tricity can come to the memorial to light candles in memory of the sacrifices of the soldiers. A large number of school students and relatives of the martyrs are also expected to visit the memorial.
The Chandigarh War Memorial was dedicated to the nation by former President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam on August 17, 2006. The Indian Express took the initiative of building the memorial keeping in mind the large number of soldiers from the region who laid down their lives for the nation.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today