Homeguard jawans clash with policemen
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
Homeguard jawans demanding job regularisation clashed with police in Lucknow on Monday and damaged some vehicles, leading to a lathicharge to disperse them.
Thousands of jawans from all over the state gathered this morning at Jhulelal park in Lucknow, leading to chaos in the city.
The situation took an ugly turn when a number of jawans, including some of their leaders, were detained by the police in a bid to control the situation, leading to resentment among the protestors, who clashed with police.
Armed with sticks, the jawans attacked policemen deployed there and chased them away, besides damaging a number of vehicles parked there.
Police then resorted to lathicharge to control them.
A senior administration official said police is trying to control the situation as the jawans have dispersed to various parts of the city in large numbers and heavy police force has been deployed.
Jawans claimed that 50,000 of them had gathered from the entire state in Lucknow to press for their regularisation, which was a long-pending demand.
"Over 24 of our colleagues were injured in the lathicharge," a jawan claimed.