Honour killing: Gallows for father, son
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
Ruling in a five-year-old honour killing case, a Baghpat district court on Tuesday sentenced to death the father and brother of a woman who was murdered for having an affair with a married man in Bali village. The man, Sunil, was also hacked to death.
The court found accused Maithali Sharan, father of 22-year-old Geeta, and Harendra, her brother, guilty of the murder of the couple.
"They shall be hanged to death but the court order should not be followed until the High Court approves of it," the order stated. The case was being heard in the court of Rajendra Babu Sharma, Additional District Judge Ist, Baghpat court.
Geeta and Sunil were killed with a balkati, a sharp-edged weapon, in December 2007. The complainant in the case was Sunil's father Vijaypal. In the FIR, Vijaypal said he and two others heard Sunil screaming. He said they saw the accused fleeing after attacking his son and Geeta.
- True patriotism requires you to be able to say I am ashamed of my country in certain respects
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?