Honour killing: Gallows for father, son
- March 25 Elections round up: Narendra Modi to face Arvind Kejriwal in Varanasi and Madhusudan Mistry in Vadodara
- Supreme Court gives BCCI an ultimatum: Remove Srinivasan for fair probe
- After eggs, ink thrown at Arvind Kejriwal in Varansi
- Three-acre Chikamagalur farm was IMâs training school and bomb factory
- After Waqas, another Indian Mujahideen terrorist Tehseen Akhtar alias Monu arrested from Darjeeling
Ruling in a five-year-old honour killing case, a Baghpat district court on Tuesday sentenced to death the father and brother of a woman who was murdered for having an affair with a married man in Bali village. The man, Sunil, was also hacked to death.
The court found accused Maithali Sharan, father of 22-year-old Geeta, and Harendra, her brother, guilty of the murder of the couple.
"They shall be hanged to death but the court order should not be followed until the High Court approves of it," the order stated. The case was being heard in the court of Rajendra Babu Sharma, Additional District Judge Ist, Baghpat court.
Geeta and Sunil were killed with a balkati, a sharp-edged weapon, in December 2007. The complainant in the case was Sunil's father Vijaypal. In the FIR, Vijaypal said he and two others heard Sunil screaming. He said they saw the accused fleeing after attacking his son and Geeta.
Public prosecutor Ajay Shankar said the court took cognisance of the evidence recovered from the accused. He said the court noted that the woman's family, after finding her in a compromising position with the man, killed the couple. "The court considered the case as the rarest of rare and said honour killing is unacceptable... the murder weapon was recovered from Harendra. The accused were out on bail but the court withdrew the bail on August 4 this year. They were sent to judicial custody. The court today handed them the death sentence," Shankar said.