‘Honour killing’: UP woman murdered, husband attacked
- Maharashtra: Building collapses in Thane district, several feared trapped
- Nation pays tribute to Abdul Kalam, funeral in Rameswaram on July 30
- SC bench differs on Yakub's execution, refers plea to larger bench
- 'Your indebted student': Kalam's advisor pays tribute to former President on Facebook
- Gurdaspur attack: GPS shows terror team, got drug cartel help too
In a suspected case of honour killing, a 22-year-old woman was killed allegedly by her cousin in Dataganj area of Badaun while her husband was attacked by her brother in Jwalapur, Haridwar, around the same time early Saturday.
Police said the couple were attacked in a planned manner as she had married against her family's wishes. Meena Devi's throat was slit by her cousin Satendra Pal at her house around 3 am, Station Officer Bhanu Pratap Singh said. He said a girl from the neighbourhood, Ruby, who had slept at the house woke up after Satendra attacked Meena. The police were looking for him, he added.
Meena, Singh said, had had left her Katinna village after marrying Nanhe of the same village, two years ago and was living in Dataganj since. Meena and Nanhe belonged to the same caste.
Though Meena's brother and cousin sometimes visited her in Dataganj, she did not go to her parents' home, Singh said. Nanhe, who worked in Haridwar, was attacked there early Saturday by Meena's brother Durgesh.
Durgesh has been arrested for attempt to murder.
Police said Durgesh attacked Nanhe with a sharp-edge weapon at around 4 am. Nanhe escaped the attack but suffered injuries on his head and was admitted to hospital.