Hospital row: Strike enters 2nd day, called off in evening

Top Stories

    Junior doctors of King George Medical University again went on flash strike on Monday, reiterating their demands of fresh probe into the case of clash between junior doctors and a patient's attendants in October last year. The second day of strike paralysed the medical services in Medicine Department of the university. The doctors, however, called off the strike by evening, resuming work.

    The doctors had gone on a similar strike on Sunday, calling it off late in the evening after assurance from vice-chancellor D K Gupta as well as district administration officials that their demands will be looked into.

    As per senior doctors of the department, though senior resident doctors and junior doctors of third year were still working, only critical patients were being admitted in the Gandhi ward, the main hospital wing of the Internal Medicine Department while the less serious patients were being referred to Balrampur Hospital or Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Civil Hospital. In the emergency ward of Medicine Department at Trauma Center, less number of patients were coming as people knew of the strike.

    "While the number of admission of patients in the Medicine Department were less than usual days, things were being managed efficiently by the doctors on duty and there has been no mortality reported. The doctors made sure that the patients did not suffer," said A A Mahdi, spokesperson of the university. He said that only the junior doctors of first and second year of Medicine Department were on strike on Monday, while the third-year junior residents and senior residents and faculty members were all on duty.

    "They were demanding a fresh probe in the case as well as quashing of the case, which can only be done through a legal process. They want the police officer who had registered the case and conducted the inquiry to be suspended," said Mahdi.

    In October last year, one Suryamani Dubey (50), a district court employee, was admitted to the university with chest pain. An argument between Dubey's sons, one of whom was an advocate and the doctor on duty led to lodging of complaints and counter complaints by both sides at the Chowk police station. About two months back, the police had filed the chargesheet against junior doctors Mohit Bhutani, Amit Chandra, Himanshu Gupta, Sushrut Singh, B Yatish, Anand Shukla and security guards Gopal Singh Bisht, Ramashankar and J P Dikshit, allegedly for beating up the sons and brother of a patient while the investigation into the complaint lodged by the doctors was still going on. Pertaining to the chargesheet, the doctors received a summon from the court which caused the doctors to go on strike on Sunday demanding a fresh probe into the case.

    Please read our terms of use before posting comments
    TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.