Housewife held for smuggling ketamine worth Rs 50 lakh
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- N Srinivasan faces serious charges, canât return until probe: Supreme Court
- Kolkata Knight Riders seal opener in comprehensive fashion
The Customs department on Monday arrested a housewife from Chennai at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport for allegedly trying to smuggle ketamine worth Rs 50 lakh while flying to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
According to customs officials, Gopi Janaki (41), a Chennai native and currently staying in Mumbai, was boarding a Malaysian airlines flight to Kuala Lumpur when she was stopped. Janaki after being produced in court on Tuesday was sent in judicial custody.
"We had information that an attempt to smuggle ketamine would be made by a housewife. Janaki had a false bottom stitched to her bag, under which we found five kgs of ketamine," said deputy customs inspector Sameer Wankhede.
On further investigations, officials found that she had flown to Kuala Lumpur four times in the last two months. The purpose behind these visits will also be probed, officials said. "Janaki was to meet her husband at Kuala Lumpur and we suspect his involvement. We will be summoning him for inquiries," Wankhede added.