How the BJP, RSS mobilised kar sevaks
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
"The preparation was accomplished with phenomenal secrecy, was technically flawless with consistency and assured results...The theme was power. It attracted clusters of young men to support the hidden agenda. Leaders know how passions are aroused and how to prevent the same; they however always see what would be beneficial to them rather than what would be good for the nation. This is what happened in Ayodhya."
In the chapter "The Mobilisation of Kar sevaks", the report of the Liberhan Commission zeroes in on how the army of karsevaks was created, encouraged and positioned strategically in preparation of the demolition of the mosque on December 6. This, according to the report, happened slowly, since the 1980s, as a local issue was turned into a national one by a political party (the BJP) through LK Advani's rath yatra, provocations, symbolic activities like the shila pujan, the Sankalp Divas, Hindu sammelans and "by challenging Muslim loyalty or patriotism through political rhetoric". The report says the "Sangh Parivar started building up a political movement in the wrap of a socio-religious movement of a particular community."
The report notes that at first the mobilisation and, in fact, the entire movement for the construction of the Ram temple was carried out by the RSS, with the VHP, sants and sadhus as the local body. Later, the BJP, Bajrang Dal, others like the Shiv Sena and individuals joined in. Underlining the involvement of the "icons of the movement, like L K Advani", the report concludes that minus the rath yatra and efforts by the BJP, "no substantial mobilisation would have taken place nor would any frenzy of hate towards the disputed structure have been built."
Listing intricate and seamless links between the RSS and its "frontal organisations" like the BJP and the states they ruled, the report cites incidents of complete synchronisation of objectives towards creating a situation which resulted in the demolition of the Babri Masjid.
- Telangana turmoil likely in Parliament; PM says opposition to bill are hiccups, BJP to take call as per â€˜situationâ€™
- LIVE: Narendra Modi addresses first rally in Mamataâ€™sÂ turf
- Jan Lokpal Bill divides AAP and Cong, threatens Delhi govt
- Chidambaram counters Kejriwal over khap panchayat issue, says such bodies not part of IndianÂ culture