How to use Aakash 2 in class
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
It may not be an iPad killer but Aakash 2 brings with it unique features that could make it a game-changer in the education sector. Procured and assembled by Datawind on behalf of the HRD ministry, the small touchscreen tablet "becomes" Aakash only after IIT Bombay teams prep it for the job. That may amount to pre-loading applications on to a blank slate, but bringing to students precisely what they may need is a value addition that can make Aakash 2 educationally relevant.
The features that make Aakash 2 unique
Proximity: The Proxy Multimedia Integration Tool for you (ProxyMITY) developed by IIT Bombay enables creation of interactive lessons by importing lecture video and presentation slides. Proximity brings personalised learning to students who can access quality lectures by reputable teachers. A searchabale database storage and retrieval system for students enables fast and even offline access to published lessons and lectures.
Blender Animation: An open source software for creating 3D animations, rendering, video editing etc. Developed at IIT Bombay; several educational animations have been ported on the tablet.
Scilab: The open-source equivalent of the commercial product Matlab, used extensively by scientists and engineers in statistical analysis, engineering design and control systems application, Scilab can be of great help to science and engineering students and will save the costs that would have been incurred in buying the rather expensive Matlab. IIT B's Scilab port on Aakash allows users to write and execute their programmes directly on the tablet. This is the first Android tablet that has been able to port Scilab, says the Aakash 2 team.
Aakash Pustak: The e-book reader is in the process of uploading over 5,000 textbooks, with NCERT textbooks across classes constituting the bulk. Aakash Putsak is unicode, allowing books in regional languages too to be accessed.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today