Humans may transform into hobbits as global warming takes hold
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
Humans will have to become like 'The Lord of the Rings' hobbits to survive rapid climate change, a report has claimed.
It also warned of mass extinctions, if a predicted rise in temperatures was passed.
The report is based on the work of 30 scientists, who have been studying vast fossil deposits in the US and charting the period 55 million years ago, when Earth's temperature increased suddenly.
One successful strategy that was adopted by many species from horses to earthworms was to turn to dwarfism, so as to avoid starvation, the report said.
It also disclosed that as food is less nutritious in a warmer world, people, animals and insects will have to eat more to survive when food is liable to be scarce. In this situation smaller, Hobbit-sized people, who mature sexually earlier, will have the best chance of surviving, the Daily Express reported.
The report has been published by the Climate News Network