Humans may transform into hobbits as global warming takes hold
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Narendra Modi slams Jayanti Natarajan; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Elections 2014 Phase 5: The five big battles
Humans will have to become like 'The Lord of the Rings' hobbits to survive rapid climate change, a report has claimed.
It also warned of mass extinctions, if a predicted rise in temperatures was passed.
The report is based on the work of 30 scientists, who have been studying vast fossil deposits in the US and charting the period 55 million years ago, when Earth's temperature increased suddenly.
One successful strategy that was adopted by many species from horses to earthworms was to turn to dwarfism, so as to avoid starvation, the report said.
It also disclosed that as food is less nutritious in a warmer world, people, animals and insects will have to eat more to survive when food is liable to be scarce. In this situation smaller, Hobbit-sized people, who mature sexually earlier, will have the best chance of surviving, the Daily Express reported.
The report has been published by the Climate News Network
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18