Humiliated by party: Trinamool whip
- Rohtak rally: Ambani, Modi, Rahul, media â all are corrupt, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
Sovandeb Chattopadhyay, the chief whip of the Trinamool Congress party in the Assembly and one of the seniormost party leaders, on Wednesday joined the chorus against the way the party was being run.
Days after the party's Singur MLA, Rabindranath Bhattacharya, opted out of Mamata Banerjee's ministry, Chattopadhyay on Wednesday said he had been "insulted and humiliated" by rival factions in the party. This came a day after he was assaulted by a rival faction of party workers on the Calcutta University campus.
"This is for the second time I have been publicly insulted, humiliated by Trinamool Congress factions. There is a limit to everything. I am emotionally attached to the party, the only reason why I am still here. It is time to think if I should remain in the party or not," he said.
Chattopadhyay has filed an FIR in which he named Manmatha Biswas, Calcutta University unit secretary of the All Bengal Trinamool Sikshabandhu Samiti. He said Biswas and others pushed and punched him inside the university campus. The alleged offenders belonged to another faction of the TMC, it was learnt.
Chattopadhyay, who heads the Calcutta University Trinamool Employees' Association (CUTEA), was on his way to attend a dharna in front of the Senate Hall of the Dwarbhanga building of the university when he was intercepted and assaulted. The rival faction is patronised by senior party leader Mukul Roy.
Chattopadhyay said, "I was heckled and beaten up by some employees of another TMC faction. I immediately called chief minister Mamata Banerjee. I do not know on whose orders I was targeted. Despite seeking the Chief Minister's intervention I do not think any disciplinary action will be taken by the party against the key offenders."
In August this year, Chattopadhyay almost got framed in a "rape" case. A woman TMC worker had alleged that she was picked by about 10 men and raped by at least two of them who belonged to Chattopadhay's faction. She even lodged an FIR against local TMC workers Ajay Bhattacharya, who was Chattopadhyay's election agent, and others.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde