Hunt for new exit as Barapullah Phase-II can clog Aurobindo Marg
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi, says her focus remains Rae Bareli and Amethi
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh's book embarrasses PM; 'Singh had little political authority'
- Two yrs after townâs first-ever riots, Kosi Kalan shadow hangs large over Mathura
- Fresh FIR against Azam Khan
- Elections 2014 Live: BJP wants to destroy secular values, only Congress promises secularism, says Sonia Gandhi
The Barapullah elevated corridor's Phase-II plan could get scuttled as the traffic police and other agencies have objected to the exit loop merging into Aurobindo Marg, an arterial link between South and New Delhi, which already carries more cars than its capacity.
Following the objections, the PWD has hired a private consultant for a traffic simulation to figure out another exit for the signal-free, elevated corridor.
"The Unified Traffic and Transportation Infrastructure (Planning and Engineering) Centre or UTTIPEC has forwarded us the terms of reference, which will be given to our consultant to carry out a survey of the area and conduct several studies to come out with the best possible alternative," a PWD official said.
The consultant is supposed to submit its report in a month and work on Phase-II of the project will begin next year.
Sources said the loop merging into Aurobindo Marg could lead to traffic snarls on the road, which already sees a high volume of traffic. "The congestion might start during construction itself. We are looking at having an exit either before Aurobindo Marg or moving it towards AIIMS," a source said.
According to the current Phase-II plan, the elevated road is supposed to be extended till INA Market. Part of it will be elevated and then merge into Aurobindo Marg.
It will be possible to enter and exit the elevated road from the INA Market through the Aurobindo Marg carriageway from Sarojini Nagar towards AIIMS.
An elevated loop will provide commuters access to the opposite carriageway on Aurobindo Marg when they are exiting. This loop will cater to cars moving towards Safdarjung Airport and Sarojini Nagar.
There will be several links on the elevated stretch. One of the loops will provide access to the elevated road from Thyagaraj Stadium for those travelling towards Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and Sarai Kale Khan.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit