Huts gutted, one hurt in Borivali fire
- Lok Sabha polls: 11 parties come together to defeat Cong, counter Modi, say they are the 'first front'
- Lalu Prasad fights rebellion, 9 MLAs back to RJD fold, blames Nitish Kumar for hatching a conspiracy
- Shinde does a u-turn, says he meant to 'crush' social media, not electronic media
- In Gujarat, 2 Congress MLAs quit to join BJP
- AAP gears up for LS polls, party to add gas pricing issue in manifesto to target BJP, Cong
A man was critically injured and 25-30 huts gutted in a major fire near Vazira Ganpati Mandir in Borivali (West) Thursday afternoon.
Chivanji Dhavale (50), who suffered 70 per cent burns, was rushed to Bhagwati Hospital where he is undergoing treatment in the surgical ward.
"As the patient is above 50, it is uncertain if he will recover," said the medical officer on duty at Bhagwati Hospital.
The blaze at Bhandari Chawl near Don Bosco School was brought under control at around 4.30 pm deploying four fire engines and six water tankers.
"We cordoned off the area, but some huts were gutted. It was difficult to get through the narrow bylanes of the slum but we reduced the damage to an extent," said a deputy fire officer.
In the 2013-14 budget, BMC has set aside funds for a slum fire prevention mechanism.
- At 23, the Indian creator of the smart ring is the youngest to address Mobile World Congress
- Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) joins hand with BJP
- Kejriwal letter questions Rahul on gas pricing, Ambani links
- Man immolates self in front of Assam secretariat
- Ex-Armyman, ISI spy for 2 years, held
- NIA nabs 2 from UP for blasts at Modi’s rally