I am not torchbearer of Indian classical music: Zakir Hussain
- Elections 2014 Live: Sonia Gandhi, Arvind Kejriwal cast their votes in third phase of LS polls
- Modi tukde tukde kar dega... ladaa dega, says Rahul
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
Despite a career spanning across over almost half a century, Hussain likes to call himself just a drummer.
"What celebrity status, I think I am just a drummer. There are so many talented artists around here," he said.
Hussain now stays in San Francisco but he keeps visiting India every year.
"Every winter I am here sometimes for two or four months. These are my roots, this is where I feel I must come to grow and learn as an artist. I must always come back to the guru to learn and grow more as a musician. There is no question of going anywhere and forgetting where I came from because that would be like losing my identity," he said.
"The plan is to always have a plug into my past, where I am from. And how deep that is and having that gave me confidence to be able to expand. I am confident that I have something (music) that is backing me and that is always there for me... so that I can explore more, learn and grow more as an artiste and as a musician," he said.
Hussain has associated his label 'Moment Records' with Times Music to launch a rich collection of music in India. 'Moments Records' is managed by Hussain and his wife Antonia Minnecola and it hosts a wide range of internationally acclaimed artists and albums.
In addition to Hussain's own classical and fusion recordings, the catalogue boasts of recordings of music stalwart like Pt Ravi Shankar, Ustad Alla Rakha, Pt Bhimsen Joshi, Pt Jasraj, Pt Shivkumar, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, noted classical singer Girija Devi among others.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi