I don't have time for rallying: Suresh Rana
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- For hate speech, EC orders UP not to let Amit Shah, Azam campaign
From being a small motor workshop owner to one of India's finest cross-country rally drivers, Suresh Rana's journey in the adventure sport has been nothing short of inspirational.
Part of a sport that has limited fan base in India, the Manali-lad has earned more laurels than any other rallyists in the country.
Rana's dominance in the recently-concluded Maruti Suzuki Desert Strom, which he won for the third time, proved his rallying prowess where he was the fastest among the lot in majority of the stages.
The rallyist, however, does not seriously consider his future in the sport despite having three desert storm, eight Raid-de-Himalaya and six Indian National Rally Championship (INRC) titles against his name apart from other podium finishes.
"I do not prepare for any rally. In fact, I get the vehicle just a day before the rally. Whatever distance I travel in the transportation leg helps me in getting to terms with the vehicle," Rana told PTI.
"The apple season back home starts from March and I get busy in the farm. I don't get time for rallying. Moreover, it's not a financially rewarding sport that I leave my business. I am over 40 years now and whatever races I do are for enjoyment," the Team Maruti driver said.
But Rana honestly admitted that prior to competing in a rally, he always remain a tensed man."There is always tension in my mind before a rally. The tension is about winning the event."
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit