'I have never worked with latecomers'
- Farmer’s suicide: Family lashes out at AAP, raises doubt on suicide note
- Human resource India's biggest strength: PM Modi
- Sena-BJP sweep Aurangabad civic polls, AIMIM ahead of Cong, NCP
- Call records may nail red sandalwood killings; NHRC seeks records of personnel involved
- Amit Shah rips Rahul Gandhi for 'post-leave' noises
What gave you the idea to then direct a heroine dominated film in the urban milieu? Also what made you choose Rekha and model Sonu Walia for the parts they played?
* I wanted to make a heroine oriented film and so came Khoon Bhari Maang. Khudgarz had done well so the distributers had faith in me. I chose Rekha because she would have been able to play both characters. The unglamorous mother and the glamorous fashionista. As for Sonu Walia, I just saw a few scenes from another film she was doing and decided to cast her. And both of them won awards that year!
Why did you follow this up with Karan Arjun, a reincarnation story about two brothers?
* As a director-writer I have always tried new plotlines and customised it to suit the Indian audience. I wanted to make a reincarnation story, which till then more often than not were love stories, so I made it about two brothers and a mother instead! I put Raakhee as the main hook with the two brothers. In Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai, people expected both Hrithik's characters to be brothers, but they were not.
What made you come up with an Indian version of ET— Koi Mil Gaya?
* I took a huge risk with Koi Mil Gaya — nobody would have made such a film with his son. I started working on the script and things fell into place very fast, but with Krrish 3, it has taken me five years.
What are the advantages of having an in-house superstar, namely Hrithik Roshan?
* The advantage of working with Hrithik is that I know him very well. If he has to walk a stretch, I know what his expressions will be. He also knows me well as a director and knows my expectations. When actors are not in sync with directors then things get a little shoddy. He started assisting me, so I knew where his heart lay. To his credit, Hrithik, in a very short span of time, has done films as different as Dhoom 2, Jodhaa Akbar, Guzaarish, Koi Mil Gaya, Krissh and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara.