'I Want My Director to be Like a Parent'
- Flydubai plane crash LIVE: Two Indians among 62 killed in southern Russia
- Uttarakhand govt crisis LIVE: Speaker issues notice under anti-defection law to 9 rebel Congress MLAs
- Urdu writers asked to declare: My book not against the govt, nation
- Rates cut: PPF, senior citizen scheme, deposits to earn less
- Jharkhand: 2 Muslim cattle traders found hanging from tree in Latehar
Saif Ali Khan on his twin roles in Cocktail - of a loverboy and that of a producer, and what he expects from his director in a film. And yes, the marriage is surely happening this year
You are back in your favourite romcom genre with Cocktail. How do you make it different?
I do find it easy to act in romcoms except for saying the lines, which is like learning a piece of music on the guitar. Since Imtiaz Ali has written the lines, it is hard work to get the right rhythm. In romcoms, the characters think and talk at the same time, so you can look for words and make the process more engaging for the viewers. Personally though, I like darker cinema but I'm happy to do romcoms because it's nice to make people happy.
Name three romcoms you go back to?
When Harry Met Sally, Dudley Moore's Arthur, Vicky Christina Barcelona.
From Being Cyrus to Cocktail , how has director Homi Adajania evolved?
You know it's really surprising. Homi is deeply caring and a very kind person. He's also surprisingly good looking and fit as a sportsman. You assume he's not going to be so focused on work but he is. You think he'll be a party boy, which he can be, but he's so damn hardworking which has really impressed me.
What is that one quality in a director that you say yes to when you agree to a project?
I like my director to be like a parent. I feel if they can take care of me then they can take care of the film. A director should know when to police you and when to parent you. Since you are also the producer, how do you navigate this role with that of being the star?
- The story of Indian politics can be explained with the story of Aadhaar
- The RSS needs to change a lot more than its knickers
- Here’s an Indian Test XI that would fight to the bitter end. And, there is no Tendulkar
- No one seems to have even kept an eye on various accounts Mallya created to escape debts
- Inside Track: Old new guard
- Pakistan cannot be far behind Mexico when it comes to kidnappings