I want revised anti-rape law to be in my daughter's name, says Delhi gangrape victim's father
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Thousands join Narendra Modi as he begins roadshow ahead of filing nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- Letter by Xavier's principal criticising Gujarat model taken down from college website
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Slow voting in Mumbai, UP registers 24 % in first four hours
Asking the Centre to make amendments in law to name the proposed new anti-rape law after his daughter, father of the Delhi gangrape victim today said it will be an honour to the girl and respect public sentiments.
"I want the revised anti-rape law to be in the name of my daughter. It will be an honour for her. If there is some problem in doing due to constitutional provisions, Centre could amend them. It will also be a respect of public sentiments", father of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim said.
"We will be sad if the anti-rape law is not named after my daughter", he said.
Demanding timely justice for his daughter, the father said that he was satisfied with the Delhi Police action.
The father of the victim also demanded that the Uttar Pradesh government set up a hospital in his village stating that it was wish of his daughter to do so in this backward village.
The Home Ministry has given indications that the revised law, which is expected to be stringent and facilitate speedier justice, is unlikely to be named after the girl who died last Saturday after battling for life for nearly two weeks.
Union Minister Shashi Tharoor had favoured naming the revised anti-rape law after the victim.
Tharoor had got support from former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati for his proposal.
"If the family of the victim has given its approval to the law being named after the rape victim I have no objections to it," Mayawati had said, adding "The Central government should convene an all party meeting and take a decision in consensus with everyone".
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police