I was abused as a teenager: Thandie Newton
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
The 'Impossible II' star, now 40, has spoken out as part of an international campaign to end violence against women,
One Billion Rising. Newton says she is still scarred by a "horrific" incident that involved a director when she was 18 and looking for her 'big break'.
Now a mother of two and married to the film producer Oliver Parker, Newton said she later found out the director involved had shown the video of her abuse to others in showbiz, the CNN reported.
"When I was a 16 year old fresh from boarding school going out in, you know the casting couch, I was definitely objectified to an extreme. The way I was made to feel. The way I was exploited and the kind of role and the kinds of things I was expected to do in auditions," Newton said.
The abuse by the director happened when she was 18. The actress says she could not defend herself at that time because the abuse happening in a professional environment with a female casting director present.
"It was a screen test. There were two other people in the room the director and the casting director, who was a woman. I'm 18 years old, you know, and I'm thinking this is, obviously... I was in a protected... there were boundaries," she said.
Three years later, she discovered the video was being shown by the director to other showbusiness figures.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2