iBall Andi Uddaan: Feeling insecure, press the SOS button
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
One thing's for sure. iBall brand from Mumbai-based Best IT World has come a long way since making its fist-size mobile phone for the elderly. That said, how long it can sustain in the cut-throat and ever-evolving smartphone market, will depend on how swiftly it can incorporate the changing dynamics of the market. But if the recently launched Andi Uddaan smartphone is any indication, the nearly 13-year-old maker of pen drives and PC accessories is definitely on the right track.
The iBall Andi Uddaan is essentially targeted at women and it is as girly a gadget as can be with hearts and crystals studded on to the pink and ivory body, as well as the home screen. That's not all. The company gives a pink back cover, a little pink purse and a pink flip cover, among other regular accessories, inside the box.
However, what makes Uddaan unique is a feature dedicated exclusively to women's safety. The so-called SOS button at the back (in the shape of a heart), when pressed, sets off a loud alarm alerting people nearby. What's more, text messages are sent and phone calls are made automatically to five pre-defined emergency contacts, with the text message providing the geographical location of the phone's owner in real time. The message also gets posted to the mobile phone owner's Facebook account.
The tracking facility in the phone allows the user to add her daily route on the map and authorise up to 10 people to track her movements live on the map. This can be useful in times of emergency and the company has used women's safety as a key advertising plank. Not a bad strategy at all and brilliant timing too. Other safety measures include an ICE feature that allows the user to save vital information such as blood group, medical history, details of people to contact in case of any emergency etc.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express