iBall Andi Uddaan: Feeling insecure, press the SOS button
- SC bans registration of diesel vehicles above 2000cc in Delhi from Jan 1
- A day after CBI raid, Kejriwal points finger at Arun Jaitley over DDCA irregularities
- What Kejriwal’s tweets set off in BJP party office and the House
- Benchmark trial done in record 9 months, wheels of justice stall in other rape cases
- Either GST or destabilising of non-BJP govts, both cannot be together: Ghulam Nabi Azad
One thing's for sure. iBall brand from Mumbai-based Best IT World has come a long way since making its fist-size mobile phone for the elderly. That said, how long it can sustain in the cut-throat and ever-evolving smartphone market, will depend on how swiftly it can incorporate the changing dynamics of the market. But if the recently launched Andi Uddaan smartphone is any indication, the nearly 13-year-old maker of pen drives and PC accessories is definitely on the right track.
The iBall Andi Uddaan is essentially targeted at women and it is as girly a gadget as can be with hearts and crystals studded on to the pink and ivory body, as well as the home screen. That's not all. The company gives a pink back cover, a little pink purse and a pink flip cover, among other regular accessories, inside the box.
However, what makes Uddaan unique is a feature dedicated exclusively to women's safety. The so-called SOS button at the back (in the shape of a heart), when pressed, sets off a loud alarm alerting people nearby. What's more, text messages are sent and phone calls are made automatically to five pre-defined emergency contacts, with the text message providing the geographical location of the phone's owner in real time. The message also gets posted to the mobile phone owner's Facebook account.
The tracking facility in the phone allows the user to add her daily route on the map and authorise up to 10 people to track her movements live on the map. This can be useful in times of emergency and the company has used women's safety as a key advertising plank. Not a bad strategy at all and brilliant timing too. Other safety measures include an ICE feature that allows the user to save vital information such as blood group, medical history, details of people to contact in case of any emergency etc.
- Policies, reforms and infrastructure need to be redesigned
- India-Japan rail diplomacy is a setback for China’s One Belt, One Road initiative
- December 16 gangrape: Let’s be angry, let’s act
- A Saudi Arabia-Iran reconciliation alone can end Shia-Sunni conflict in West Asia
- Nobody minds their language
- Odd-even car proposal being enforced without evidence or cost-benefit analysis