'If surveys are correct, I'll quit politics for good'
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
AAP has its roots in the campaign for a Lokpal Bill, where politicians were derided. How have people accepted you in active politics?
I have to admit that the transition to active politics has not been very easy. We have always been about a movement. But our methods or strategies have not changed. We are new to politics but what has helped us is that the dirt and corruption in politics have reached such a level that people have accepted AAP as not just a viable but the only alternative to the Congress and BJP in Delhi. The people are ready to be part of the process to change the entrenched political system.
AAP purports to be different from mainstream political parties. But isn't the party built around Arvind Kejriwal?
Personalities and leadership are important, but in AAP, it is about the decision-making process. I cannot make snap decisions to suit my own needs. Every significant decision is taken through consensus. At best, I can make suggestions.
The Congress and BJP are courting the Poorvanchali electorate. Has AAP made caste-based calculations?
As of now, caste has never been a part of the equation or a problem in our decision-making process. We promise a systemic change and to do that, we have to rid ourselves of such old-world ideas. Moreover, corruption is an issue that affects all sections of society. That said, I believe caste will not play an important role in this particular election.
Does the party have a plan for governance as well?
We have constituted a 32-member panel anchored by Yogendra Yadav to do just that. This policy panel discusses issues that need to be addressed and how to go about it. The panel includes a range of people from diverse backgrounds.
Are you the CM candidate for AAP?
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express