IIT Kanpur student found dead
- BJP nominee to Narendra Modi critics: You will soon be in Pakistan, not India
- China says no to Arunachal youth in India delegation, minister says letâs call off trip
- Lok Sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- Upar Narendra, neeche Bhupinder... new BJP slogan echoes in states of rivals
- Elections LIVE 2014: Modi says Rahul, Sonia, Vadra, Priyanka (RSVP) model looted India
The body of a student of IIT Kanpur was found on railway tracks near the campus area here, police said on Thursday.
The body of G Sai Kumar Reddy (20), a resident of Prakasham district in Andhra Pradesh, was found along the Kanpur-Farrukhabad railway line on Wednesday morning, a police officer said.
A probe is being conducted to ascertain whether it was a case of suicide or accident, the officer said.
As per the post-mortem report, the body was hit by a heavy object, due to which it is assumed that he might have been hit by the train accidentally, the officer said.
Reddy was a second year B Tech student pursuing Material Science and Metallurgical Engineering in the institute, student welfare Dean, IIT-Kanpur, Prof A K Ghosh said.
Ruling out reports that he was depressed and may have committed suicide, Ghosh said he was an average student and was never involved in any conflicts with other students.
"We are investigating it. A four-member body has been formed by the institute, to look into the matter. It will submit a report within 7 days," he said.
Parents of Reddy arrived at the institute on Thursday morning and have asked for the body of their son to perform the last rites at their native place, the police officer said.
The institute expressed condolence on the sudden demise of the student.