Illegal use of beacons violation of MV Act: Police
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score: KKR beat Mumbai Indians by 41 runs in IPL 7 opener
DCP (traffic) Vishwas Pandhare said using red or amber beacon lights on vehicles without having the authority is a violation of Motor Vehicle Act. "We do not have any list of officers or government authorities in the city who are allowed to use vehicles with beacon lights. But there are state government directives regarding the VIPs and government officers authorised to use beacon lights on their vehicles. Action is taken against those found using it illegally," he said.
There have been a few cases in the past when city police arrested persons illegally using beacon lights. In September 2011, the airport police had arrested a private car driver Dattatraya Pawar (27), resident of Kedgaon in Ahmednagar, for installing a beacon light on his car as he entered the airport in Lohegaon.
It was known that he had come to the airport to receive the deputy collector of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in Ahmednagar.
The police had booked Pawar under sections of the Motor Vehicles Act for installing beacon light in sensitive area without permission.