IM men held, attacks foiled, Pune blasts solved: Police


The Delhi Police on Thursday claimed to have foiled attacks on marketplaces in the capital and at Bodhgaya and solved the recent Pune serial blasts with the arrest of three alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) militants. Large quantities of explosives were allegedly recovered from them.

Police said that the blasts in Pune on August 1 were a revenge attack plotted by the Bhatkal brothers for the killing of alleged IM operative Qateel Siddiqui inside Yerwada jail in Pune earlier this year.

Two of the men, Asad Khan and Imran Khan, were picked up during a Special Cell raid on a house in Pul Prahladpur, in southeast Delhi, on September 26, reportedly following a specific tip-off. The duo had come to the capital around September 20-21 and were allegedly waiting for instructions to carry out terrorist strikes during the festival season.

Police claimed to have recovered 4 kg of explosives, eight detonators with 9-volt batteries, circuits, ball bearings and nails from them.

The interrogation of Asad and Imran reportedly led to the arrest of their third "associate" Sayyed Feroze, who was picked up from Nizamuddin railway station on October 1 while on his way from Ahmednagar. The police claimed to have recovered 1 kg of explosives and two detonators from him.

The police said that the trio's interrogation had revealed that around five-six IM operatives planned the Pune blasts. The decision was reportedly taken in July 2012, with the final clearance from Riyaz Bhatkal reportedly coming through at Asad's tour and travel office in Aurangabad.

"In July 2012, Sayyed took a flat on rent at Kasarwadi in Pune. After a few days, two other militants whose names we are not disclosing joined them. They had brought explosives with them. For preparing the IED, they visited the electronic market of Budhwar Peth market in Pune where they purchased digital watches, circuit boards and other electronic items. On August 1, 2012, they went to Phadke Haud and purchased three bicycles. They rode the cycles to the Deccan bus stand and parked these at the cycle stand. In the evening, they left their flat with explosives in their rucksacks and planted the IEDs in the bicycles which they had parked on the Junglee Maharaj Road," said Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar at a press conference.

... contd.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.