- Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh, 20 jawans feared dead
- Election Live: Rahul Gandhi addresses rally on Narendra Modi's turf
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro
DIRECTOR: Kundan Shah
CAST: Naseeruddin Shah, Ravi Baswani, Pankaj Kapur, Satish Shah, Om Puri, Nina Gupta,
This is a film I know backwards, and I'm sure many of you do, too. So why I am writing this? Because Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro has re-released in a bright, digitally restored print this week, and it is completely worth your while, as much as it was when it came out in 1983. If not more.
The story of Vinod and Sudhir, young, idealistic photographers who run into a gaggle of crooks — greedy builder Tarneja, another of his ilk, the very dead Ahuja, the corrupt commissioner D'Mello, the too- upright journalist Shobha, and a bunch of others in the very cult film that Kundan Shah made has never been out-of-sight, out-of-mind. If anything, its cult-ness, if you like, has only increased over the years because it is the only film that Hindi cinema has made whose comic edges have been tinged with so much black. As far as I'm concerned, there really has been no other serious contender for the black comedy throne.
I watched it again this morning, and I was laughing all over again. Laughing and realising that JBDY will never lose relevance: as long as there is corruption and venal officials and a handful of people trying to fight the system, we will always want to see this film.
A restored version came out recently on DVD, but this is your chance to see it on screen. Do not lose a minute. Go. Jaane mat do yaaron. SG
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express