In 2014, Varun may contest polls from Sultanpur
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
BJP secretary and MP from Pilibhit Varun Gandhi is exploring the possibility of contesting the next election from Sultanpur in UP. If it works out all right, his mother Maneka Gandhi may move from Aonla to Pilibhit, it is learnt.
Sources said Varun has sent a five-member team to Sultanpur who, for the last few days, have been meeting prominent people — including village pradhans, block development committee members — to seek their support for Varun for the next election and also collecting feedback.
They are taking help of local BJP workers in identifying and contacting such persons.
BJP workers have also displayed posters in support of Varun in the constituency. One of these reads, "Naam wahi jo kaam karaye, Sultanpur ka samman badhaye", and carries his photograph.
The posters are similar to the posters put up in Pilibhit when Varun filed his nomination for 2009 election.
Sources said each member of the team has been given charge of one Assembly segment. Sultanpur has five Assembly segments. BJP hasn't won any of these seats in the last two elections. In the last election, the Samajwadi Party had won all five seats.
Also, no BJP candidate has won Sultanpur Lok Sabha constituency since 1999.
Varun refused to comment, saying the BJP will announce its candidates at the right time, but a senior party leader said Varun had already informed the top brass about his plan to move to Sultanpur. He is banking on the fact that his father, the late Sanjay Gandhi, was MP from neighbouring Amethi, which is part of Sultanpur district, and people still remember him.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi