In 97% rape cases, accused known to victim, police data reveals
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
In 97 per cent of the rape cases reported this year, the crime was committed by a person known to the victim, police data reveals. In 40 per cent cases, the crime was committed by a family member or neighbour, data shows.
This year, 1,559 cases of rape were reported against 680 in 2012.
According to police data, in 33 cases the father was named as accused and, in 31 cases, an uncle of the victim was the accused.
In 585 cases, or 37.52 per cent of the total cases, the accused was either a friend or lover of the victim. A neighbour was the accused in 348 cases. In 40 cases, an employer or co-worker was named as the accused.
In 23 cases, husbands or former husbands of the victims were charged with rape. In 51 cases, the brother-in-law of the victim was the accused.
In 261 cases, the victim
alleged rape after eloping with her boyfriend. In 28 cases, women in live-in relationships went to police, accusing their partners of rape.
Of the 1,559 cases reported this year, police said they had solved 90 per cent of the cases (1,398) with the arrest of 1,711 people. Of those arrested, 1,704 are first-time offenders and six have previous cases of rape against them. Of the 1,711 accused, 1,437 are residents of Delhi.
As many as 30 rape cases took place in vehicles.
RELATIONSHIP WITH VICTIM
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today