In 97% rape cases, accused known to victim, police data reveals
- Elections LIVE: Cong's third candidate list out; Azhar shifted to Sawai Madhopur, Kalmadi won't get Pune
- Crimea treaty fallout: Russia suspended from G8, says it will retailiate against sanctions
- Ironically Cong leader Manoharsinh Jadeja was first to call Modi 'incorruptible', show Wikileaks cable
- MH370 missing: Background checks clear Chinese nationals
- Congress a sinking ship, even senior leaders deserting it: Arun Jaitley
In 97 per cent of the rape cases reported this year, the crime was committed by a person known to the victim, police data reveals. In 40 per cent cases, the crime was committed by a family member or neighbour, data shows.
This year, 1,559 cases of rape were reported against 680 in 2012.
According to police data, in 33 cases the father was named as accused and, in 31 cases, an uncle of the victim was the accused.
In 585 cases, or 37.52 per cent of the total cases, the accused was either a friend or lover of the victim. A neighbour was the accused in 348 cases. In 40 cases, an employer or co-worker was named as the accused.
In 23 cases, husbands or former husbands of the victims were charged with rape. In 51 cases, the brother-in-law of the victim was the accused.
In 261 cases, the victim
alleged rape after eloping with her boyfriend. In 28 cases, women in live-in relationships went to police, accusing their partners of rape.
Of the 1,559 cases reported this year, police said they had solved 90 per cent of the cases (1,398) with the arrest of 1,711 people. Of those arrested, 1,704 are first-time offenders and six have previous cases of rape against them. Of the 1,711 accused, 1,437 are residents of Delhi.
As many as 30 rape cases took place in vehicles.
RELATIONSHIP WITH VICTIM