In birthday ads, jailed Gopal Kanda is Sher-e-Haryana
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Third FIR against Giriraj Singh; Muslims should not be afraid of BJP, says Joshi
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: Can SRH bowlers put brakes on KXIP batsmen?
Former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda is in jail for his alleged involvement in the suicide of his former employee Geetika Sharma.
But that's no deterrent for his supporters to celebrate his birthday by issuing advertisements in Sirsa that describe the politician as Sher-e-Haryana.
Sources said the Kanda family is organising several functions to celebrate his birthday on December 29, for which posters, placards have been placed at various locations in Sirsa.
The advertisements, bearing Kanda's pictures, mention that his birthday will be celebrated as Sadbhavana Diwas and the residents of Haryana, particularly Sirsa, are welcome to attend it.
Giving details, his brother Gobind Kanda said, "It is an annual feature. We celebrate Gopal's birthday like this every year. This time again we are holding health camps, including free check-ups, followed by a mega lunch for people attending these camps. Reputed doctors are participating in it. We will organise a religious discourse at Tara Baba Kutia in Sirsa." The health camp will be inaugurated by Gobind.
Though the police's intelligence wing has information that Gobind may move an application in the court seeking Gopal Kanda's release for one day on December 29, Gobind said, "There's no such move as on date from our side."
Gopal Kanda, who had gone into hiding after being named in the case, resurfaced only after he could not get bail from the court and had to surrender before the police. It was a dramatic re-appearance in the middle of the night with Kanda giving live interview to a TV channel.
Kanda was named in the suicide note written by Geetika, who was allegedly harassed by him.
He was named the prime accused in the FIR registered in the case.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready