In Dasna for Eid, 11-year-old killed by speeding bike
- Election LIVE: BJP's third candidate list out, Ram Kripal to contest from Patliputra against Lalu's daughter
- Show us the money, Supreme Court says, refuses bail to Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi High Court upholds death to four convicts
- India joins global search to locate missing Malaysia Airlines plane
- Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, asks it to follow "alliance dharma"
Police said two bikers were racing and performing stunts in residential area.
An 11-year-old girl died after she was hit by a motorcycle in the Dasna area of Ghaziabad on Friday night. The girl, Sophia, had come to her uncle's home in Dasna to celebrate Eid.
Police said, prima facie, it appeared that two persons were racing their motorcycles when the incident took place.
One of the bikers has been arrested, police said.
A police officer said, "The incident took place around 10:30 pm in the Dasna Kasba area. Sophia was playing outside her uncle's home when the two motorcycles approached. Eyewitnesses said the bikes were at a high speed. They said the bikers were doing stunts as well. One of the motorcycles, an Apache RTR, hit Sophia. It dragged her for about 30 metres and then crashed into a pile of bricks nearby. She suffered head and back injuries and died on the way to hospital."
Police said the man on the bike which hit Sophia, fell after crashing into the bricks and was nabbed by residents.
Two others, however, managed to escaped.
"The arrested man has been identified as Rashid, a resident of Dasna. We are on the lookout for the other two who were racing with him. The road is fairly wide and these bikers were performing dangerous stunts. Residents said this was a common occurrence. We are going to set up barricades on the road to prevent such incidents in future," the officer said.