In Haryana, youths fire at two schoolgirls, one dies
- No resignations, BJP prepares for stormy Monsoon session
- IPL GC meet: Thakur-Shirke want CSK, RR scrapped; Shukla-Shastri say no
- Arvind Kejriwal to PM: Devote time to Delhi Police or hand over its charge
- Two killed in landslide on Mumbai-Pune Expressway, traffic comes to halt
- IIT Delhi's decision to invite Ramdev raises eyebrows
Motorcycle-borne youths fired at two school girls in Peedal village here resulting in the death of one of them and serious injuries to the other.
The assailants managed to escape after the crime, police said, adding, the deceased has been identified as Shikha, a student of class VIII.
The injured girl, Aman, a student of class XI was rushed to Rajendra Hospital at Patiala where she has been declared out of danger.
The daylight crime sent shock waves in the village and a large number of residents assembled at the site.
Later they took Shikha's body to the Kaithal-Patiala road and blocked traffic demanding the arrest of the accused without delay.
Kaithal Superintendent of Police (SP) Kuldeep Singh Yadav and Additional Deputy Commissioner Dinesh Yadav rushed to the village and tried to pacify the villagers. However, the irate mob refused to remove the body from the site unless the accused were arrested.