In its moment of celebration, DRDO leaves out ‘Agni putri’
- Election Live: Narendra Modi addresses rally in Purnia, attacks Third Front
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
As the Agni-V missile thundered into the sky off the coast of Orissa on Thursday, it was a moment of triumph for Tessy Thomas, the scientist who broke the glass ceiling in the male-dominated arena of rocket science when she was appointed to head the Agni-IV mission.
But the name of woman who has played a crucial role in the development of the Agni series of missiles was missing in the press release issued by the DRDO. The release mentioned all other scientists present at the launch.
Those present at the launch pad today were Dr V G Sekaran, director of Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), Tessy Thomas, Dr S K Chaudhari, director of Research Centre Imarat (RCI), A K Chakrabarti, director, DRDL, S P Dash, director, Integrated Test Range, Guru Prasad, director, Research and Development Establishment Engineers, Pune and R K Gupta, project director of Agni-V apart from Dr V K Saraswat, scientific advisor to the defence minister, and Avinash Chander, the Agni programme director. The DRDO release acknowledged the presence of all of them except Tessy Thomas.
Ravi Kumar Gupta, Director of Public Interface, DRDO, New Delhi, said Tessy Thomas was the director for Agni-IV. "Dr R K Gupta is the project director of Agni-V and Avinash Chander is the overall programme director,'' he said. When asked why her name was left out, Gupta did not comment.
Based at the Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL) in DRDO's Missile Complex, Hyderabad, Tessy Thomas led the Agni-IV project, an important milestone in the missile history of India that led up to the test-firing of the Agni V on Thursday.
The Agni IV was successfully test fired in November 2011. Nick-named 'Agni putri' and missile woman, Thomas, 48, joined DRDO 21 years ago. She is an expert in solid system propellants and is credited with developing the technology for re-entry vehicle system.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress