In jail, Maya Kodnani put on health watch
- Election Live: BJP in damage control mode, Rudy to meet Uddhav to fine tune alliance with Sena
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
A year after she was sentenced to 28 years in jail in the Naroda Patia massacre case, former minister in the Narendra Modi government and ex-BJP MLA Maya Kodnani (58) has developed health complications.
On September 21, she was rushed to the Intensive Care Unit of U N Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Centre and kept there for a week, sources said.
Various tests, including one to detect Tuberculosis, were conducted on Kodnani. Doctors concluded that her symptoms were result of a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse (MVP), a heart disease, which she has had for "seven-eight" years, said a close family source. "Maybe she stopped taking her medicine which led to palpitation, exhaustion and deterioration in her condition. Besides, she is not getting nourishing food in jail, which could also be a factor," a family member told The Indian Express.
Jail authorities contacted her husband, Dr Surendra Kodnani, on September 21. He stayed with her in the hospital till she was discharged and sent back to jail on September 28.
"The doctors suspect it is tuberculosis. However, the reports are not conclusive. She has been advised complete rest and will be monitored in jail. If necessary, she will be taken to Civil hospital where other tests can be conducted," said the family member, who did not wish to be named.
The family member added that Kodnani also suffered from psychological and digestive problems due to the jail environment.
Sources told The Indian Express that Kodnani, who weighed 60 kg when she arrived in prison, has lost 13 kg since then. Asked about Kodnani's condition, additional DGP and IG (Jails) P C Thakur said, "I am not aware, please ask the superintendent." Superintendent R J Parghi could not be contacted.
Kodnani is lodged in Sabarmati Central Jail's female ward in barrack number 5 along with 11 other convicts. She is serving a life term for her role as a key accused and conspirator in the Naroda Patia massacre in which 97 people were killed.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express