In jail, Maya Kodnani put on health watch
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Cong gave birth to child but killed the mother, says Modi on Telangana
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Hate speeches: Petty statements by those claiming to be BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign, says Modi
A year after she was sentenced to 28 years in jail in the Naroda Patia massacre case, former minister in the Narendra Modi government and ex-BJP MLA Maya Kodnani (58) has developed health complications.
On September 21, she was rushed to the Intensive Care Unit of U N Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Centre and kept there for a week, sources said.
Various tests, including one to detect Tuberculosis, were conducted on Kodnani. Doctors concluded that her symptoms were result of a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse (MVP), a heart disease, which she has had for "seven-eight" years, said a close family source. "Maybe she stopped taking her medicine which led to palpitation, exhaustion and deterioration in her condition. Besides, she is not getting nourishing food in jail, which could also be a factor," a family member told The Indian Express.
Jail authorities contacted her husband, Dr Surendra Kodnani, on September 21. He stayed with her in the hospital till she was discharged and sent back to jail on September 28.
"The doctors suspect it is tuberculosis. However, the reports are not conclusive. She has been advised complete rest and will be monitored in jail. If necessary, she will be taken to Civil hospital where other tests can be conducted," said the family member, who did not wish to be named.
The family member added that Kodnani also suffered from psychological and digestive problems due to the jail environment.
Sources told The Indian Express that Kodnani, who weighed 60 kg when she arrived in prison, has lost 13 kg since then. Asked about Kodnani's condition, additional DGP and IG (Jails) P C Thakur said, "I am not aware, please ask the superintendent." Superintendent R J Parghi could not be contacted.
Kodnani is lodged in Sabarmati Central Jail's female ward in barrack number 5 along with 11 other convicts. She is serving a life term for her role as a key accused and conspirator in the Naroda Patia massacre in which 97 people were killed.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready