In new House, 74% MLAs are crorepati, 31% facing criminal cases, says report
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
In the newly elected house of 182 MLAs, a phenomenal 74% of the members are crorepatis while 31% have criminal cases against them, according to a report released by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) Monday.
"Out of the newly elected MLAs, 134 are crorepatis," states the report. This is a significant increase from the number of wealthier members of the house in the last Assembly where only 31% of them were crorepatis.
Among the newly elected BJP MLAs, 75% are crorepatis while 70% of the Congress MLAs fall in this category.
"In the elections, 51% of the MLAs who declared assets worth Rs 5 crore and above have won. On the other hand, only 1% of MLAs with assets less than Rs 20 lakh could win," states the report.
The average assets held by Congress MLAs is Rs 12.36 crore, for the BJP, it is Rs 5.82 crore and for the NCP, it is Rs 15.61 crore.
When it came to criminal records, 57 MLAs (31%) have criminal cases against them.
Twenty-four of them have serious criminal cases against them. In 2007, 26% of the elected members had criminal cases against them.
- School kids ‘adopt’ spotted deer at Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- Jain trust gets HC caveat to ordain minor as sadhu
- Time to help Zaheer make the decision: Prasad
- BMC in a ‘tearing’ hurry as poll code kicks in
- Two men shot at in Tilak Nagar, different versions puzzle police
- Shami makes most of lively wicket
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express