In police force, women enjoy safety and support
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits: Mohan Bhagwat
- Malaysia Airlines flight case: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Women officers and constables in the city police said they do not feel insecure and they do get support from their male counterparts . However, they said they do not get challenging assignments compared to their male counterparts.
"A woman police officer has to prove her skills and take initiative if she wants to be a part of any special or challenging task. Whereas, there are many male police officers who are chosen for such tasks without their skills being considered," said a senior female police officer.
She said, "There have been officers like Meeran Borwankar who have handled top posts like Pune police commissioner. So, even though the number of females in the police department is much less than males, there is enough scope for those with a "go-getter" attitude. Working in police department is a satifying job. And if you show initiative, you are certainly rewarded."
In the 8,000-strong city police force, there are nearly 1,500 females, including one ACP, nine police inspectors, 46 assistant inspectors, 73 sub inspectors, 16 assistant sub inspectors and 1,135 constables.
ACP Smita Patil, who is heads the Chatuhrshrungi division, is the senior-most female officer in the city police. There is no police station having a female senior inspector. Earlier, senior inspector Sushma Chavan was in-charge of the Cantonment police station. She is now with the cyber crime and economic offences wing (EOW) of city police. Besides, female officers are handling key responsibilities like inspector Smita Jadhav, in-charge of Women's Grievance Redressal Cell, inspector Neelam Jadhav, in-charge of Deccan and Shivajinagar traffic division. Female officers and constables are deployed in all branches and police stations of city.
Some of the female officers and constables said they also work on night duties with their male counterparts and there have been no serious problems related to their security and safety. ACP (administration) Abdur Rehman said, "We have a committee to check harassment of female cops at work place. Any female cop can approach and complaint to this panel."
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress