In Punjab, rape case disposed of within 48 hrs
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
Sessions court hold Bihar man guilty of abducting, raping minor.
In yet another speedy trial in a case of crime against women, a Hoshiarpur sessions court Friday disposed a case of abduction and rape of a teenaged girl within 48 hours after the matter was presented before it.
Additional District and Sessions Judge J S Bhinder held Sonu Paswan, a Bihar resident, guilty of abducting and raping a 14-year-old girl in September, 2012.
The court sentenced him to five years' imprisonment and a fine of Rs 10,000 under IPC section 363 (kidnapping), seven years' imprisonment and a fine of Rs 20,000 under section 366 (inducing to force marriage), and 10 years' imprisonment and a fine Rs 30,000 under section 376 (rape).
In case of non-payment of fine, the accused has to further undergo one-year imprisonment under section 363 and 366 of the IPC and two-year jail under section 376 of the IPC.
The case registered at Mehtiana police station was submitted by the prosecuting agency before the judge on February 12 for which witnesses had been made on February 13. The next day was a court holiday. The case came up for resumed hearing on Friday after which the court pronounced the quantum of punishment while disposing the case.
As per the police records, the victim had gone missing from her house on September 18, 2012 from her village in Hoshiarpur district. According to police, Paswan, a migrant labourer, used to visit the victim's house and abducted her on the pretext of marrying her.
The police had earlier registered a case of abduction but later when the girl was recovered charges were framed against the accused under section 376 of IPC.
This is the fourth such case in Hoshiarpur where the trial courts disposed the case in a period of few days.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held