In round two, Sonia pulls no punches on Modi
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
Says areas other than CM's seat getting raw deal, rakes up suicides by farmers
Back in Gujarat after a gap of over a month, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Friday targeted Chief Minister Narendra Modi, alleging that development in his Maninagar constituency was carried out at the cost of other areas. She, however, did not mention any name.
Addressing a rally at Keshod in Junagadh district, her second in the day, which goes to polls on December 13, she said, "For inclusive growth of urban pockets, we have implemented JNNURM. You will be amazed to know that 16 per cent of total grant has been spent only on one constituency."
"I do not want to take the name of this Assembly constituency. I think you all know," she said, referring to road, BRTS and lake development that Maninagar, represented by Modi since 2002, has witnessed.
Calling the current government tanashahi (dictatorial), Gandhi alleged that Saurashtra region was being ignored when it came to development.
Calling upon people to bring in a revolutionary change, the Congress chief said: "I appeal to you to fight this destructive, partisan and dictatorial (regime) with courage."
Earlier in the day, addressing a rally in tribal-dominated Mandvi in Surat district in south Gujarat, the Congress president said, "I am happy to see such greenery here. Indira Gandhi had also come here and met you people. This land has given true Gandhians like Jhinabhai Darji and Jugatram Dave, who devoted their lives working for tribals. This land also had given Gujarat its first tribal chief minister Amarsinh Chaudhary.
Dismissing the Modi government's development claims, Gandhi said they were "hollow and false", she said.
"They (Modi and the BJP) have no interest in poor and common people but its only interest is development of its own and a select few people... the development which was promised in a big way is nowhere to be seen in this tribal land...because what they promised were hollow and false," she said.
- Cong appoints Harshad scam accused as chief of Mumbai Gujarati cell
- Militants kill PDP sarpanch in Valley
- VVIP chopper scam: CBI chief meets envoy in Italy
- In final run, Mavericks first hurdle for Spurs
- Injuries to Neymar, Alba add to Barcelona’s woes
- Rani Jhansi flyover: HC notices to civic body, Railways