In state, 91.5% criminal cases pending in courts: Report
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- For hate speech, EC orders UP not to let Amit Shah, Azam campaign
About 91.5 per cent of the total criminal cases are pending in various criminal courts in the state, with the maximum pending cases pertaining to cheating and criminal breach of trust, shows the recently released Crimes in Maharashtra 2011, an annual report of the state criminal investigation department (CID).
'At the end of 2011, 13,41,836 cases (91.5 per cent) of the total 14,66,075 cases are pending disposal before various criminal courts in the state. It indicates that the number of cases pending before the criminal courts is mounting. Evidently, the efficiency of criminal courts has not matched with that of the increasing quantum of crime. The wide gap between disposal of cases by police (by filing chargesheet) and courts is 2:1, which needs to be bridged, the report stated. The report further indicated that all courts have more than 77.5 per cent of IPC cases pending for trial.
The gap between the disposal of cases by police and by the court is seen in the state as well as in Pune. Within Pune commissioner office jurisdiction, 15,757 cases under the IPC were registered in 2011, of which 143 cases were found to be false or were filed out of some misunderstanding. The police managed to dispose of 12,687 cases either by filing the chargesheet or the final completion report, whereas 3,070 (19.5 per cent) cases are pending for investigation.
On the other hand, 1,36,965 cases are pending for trial from the Pune commissioner office jurisdiction, of which 12,623 cases are withdrawn or compounded and trial has been completed in 3,359 cases. A total of 1,20,983 cases (88.3 per cent) cases are pending for trial.
Similarly, out of the 3,13,442 cases under IPC registered in 2011, police investigation was completed in 2,00,284 cases and 1,12,962 cases are pending for investigation (36 per cent).
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit